Sunday, July 25, 2010

June 10th

Harvested a bunch of onions, roma tomatoes, and tomatillos.

The onions are all kind of small.


And I combined them with very meaty romas to make Alton Brown's Tomato Sauce which comes out with perfect texture and sweetness because it's roasted in the oven instead of simmered on a stove.


The tomatillos got turned into salsa using my onions and jalapenos, the only thing I had to buy was cilantro. Yum! It was perfect on the bean tamales my mom brought back from the Valley.


Unfortunately, my zucchini died of bacterial wilt, which is also killing the squash and has affected the cucumbers, which are alive but not producing much.


I bought some miracle grow plant food and used it on the peppers which were starting to turn yellow and lose their leaves. They're starting to recover nicely in this picture. Also the basil and herbs are doing great!


The corn didn't seem to grow very well. The husks only got half filled and the plants are starting to die. However, the green beans are starting to take off, with much greener leaves than before. Whatever disease it had, it seems to be gone.


All the mint family is doing great even after being cut back severely. You can see the weak and dying leaves on the cucumber in the foreground. It's hanging in there though and has a couple of cucumbers. The loofah is a related plant, but doesn't seem to have the disease. In fact the fruit is huge now.


You can see where I harvested all the carrots from one the plots. Strangely, the chard is doing great in the hot weather.


The watermelon is going all over the trellis and so is the canteloupe on the other side. It's blooming in the second picture. Unfortunately, I think one of the reasons I haven't had a decent harvest of anything is that I haven't seen any bees anywhere. The tomatillo is doing fantastic and has little tomatillos everywhere and is starting to bloom again. Not sure what pollinates it, but I must have a bunch of it. And finally, a caterpillar on the rue.


Here's the asparagus and the progress of the cypress vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment