Sunday, March 28, 2010

First Harvest and Mulch!

Although I never got around to posting about it. We've already eaten from the garden.

Back on March 16, I harvested a radish that seemed loose. We cut it in half and ate it. Besides looking perfect, it was juicy and had a nice bite!


On the 24th we harvested the rest. Unfortunately, in one of the squares, the radishes hadn't formed radishes at all or were small and rotten. Maybe they were too crowded? In the other plot I only lost a few that looked inedible. In total, I harvested 13 radishes. Less than half. Oh well, at least they're delicious. I've replanted, so hopefully round two will be more successful.


I also didn't get much out of the broccoli. One small head was about to flower so I harvested both. They were about a quarter or less the size of a full head of broccoli, so they were just a single serving. We steamed them and they turned the darkest green I have ever seen on a broccoli! And they tasted great! Both of us wished there were more. Oh well. There will be secondary heads and the stems later, which you can see in the second picture.


I also got around to buying mulch this weekend. No one had the coir mulch that comes in a cube that I really wanted, so I just bought native mulch from Houston Garden Center instead. The dark color really makes the green of the plants stand out and they should be much happier now that the soil won't dry out and get a hard crust.

I took a bunch of general pictures.


I hope more basil seeds sprout. It will be pretty sparse in the square if they don't.

1 comment: