Friday, February 5, 2010

My new square foot garden!

My GF and I just moved into our new house in Katy, TX a few months ago and I'm about to finally have my dream garden! Well, half my dream garden so far. A vegetable garden is just part of what I want for the backyard. Eventually I want half as a vegetable garden and orchard, and the other half as a cottage-garden style hummingbird and bee garden. Plus a pergola over the porch with wisteria.

As the title says, this will be a square foot garden. It's a method of intensive garden so you can get a lot of produce out of small spaces. If you're interested, you can read more here.

I had a handyman make six 4x4 beds for vegetables in one half of the backyard. Here they are nearly complete.

At this point, I wasn't sure where I wanted the trellises, so they're not in the ground all the way. Also, I was warned away from using the Mel's mix and went with a recommendation of vegetable garden soil (with manure and some other type of compost) and leaf mold compost.

It's pretty ambitious to have six beds from the beginning, but I figured with the cost of the cedar and the handyman's time, it was cheaper than waiting until later.

Anyway, here's some pictures. Click to see them larger.


No comments:

Post a Comment